Thursday, February 03, 2005

I love all aspects of the audition process; auditioning, hearing auditions, making it, not making it (weird, huh? In college, I used to try out for stuff I knew I had a snowball's chance in Texas of getting, merely for the rush of being on the stage, trying.) Which may explain my passion for all the contest shows; American Idol, Nashville Star, Last Comic Standing, even snatches of America's Next Top Model (Survivor is a whole other animal, though the dh and I are addicted to that, too.) Speaking of dear husband, he is physically incapable of passing by an episode of Iron Chef. Japanese or US versions, and usually snags me too, unless the ingredient is alive ::shudder:: -- I always root for it to escape, if it is.

Since eharlequin.com's Book In a Year feature is about genre this month, I thought I'd have a look over there and do the exercises. Movies were hard, as I live (literally) a five minute walk from a multiplex, but see maaaaaybe a movie a year in theatre. Contest shows dominated my top ten TV shows (the rest were dramas) and when I stretched my movie parameters from "this year" to "last few years" I noticed a very strong trend; all my favorites are set in earlier eras, and/or are UK imports. Again, dramas dominate very very strongly, though The Wedding Singer (1980s -- earlier era) and Four Weddings and a Funeral (UK, and could be argued equal parts drama/comedy) do make a showing.

I also like to color (and colour) outside the lines, and I'm quite comfortable with that. Last night, at nag group, the other gals reinforced that I'm making professionalism a priority this year, and agreed that targeting Harlequin Historicals is a wise move, as their wish list and mine seem to be a perfect match. How that actually works out, we'll see, but I feel like I'm on the right track.

No comments: