Thursday, March 10, 2011

We have a default read for spring,huzzah


Back when I had my most recent reading slump, the book that broke me out of it was The Immortal Highlander by Hannah Howell and Lynsay Sands. While I'm still not a vampire fan by any means (though Mick St. John, call me. Yes, you can bring Beth. In fact, I insist. Moonlight forever.)I am usually up for a good Highlander (while I'm on the topic, Duncan MacLeod, call me. Yes, you can bring Tessa. In fact, I insist.) story and the novella length means I can get from once upon a time to happily ever after sooner than with a full length novel. My immersion in the world of the MacNachtons and MacAdies began, and as I'm currently on the second to last book in the series to date, my eyes start drifting to the TBR shelves.

Hannah Howell has long been a staple in historical romance, and while I'd started her Highland series back when, well, back when, let's say, I hadn't been keeping current, so there's quite a few titles. Which I don't think is all the books covering the Cameron and Murray clans, and since it's the Highland part more than the vampire part (though I do find that handled well; normal people with a few wee differences) I think working my way though the Camerons and Murrays through the spring will be right up my alley. I really appreciate when linked books go through multiple generations rather than stay in only one, and this definitely applies here.

I'm starting at the beginning, once I'm done with the last Highland vampire installment I have on hand, which will be a trip down memory lane for the first few books. Which will be interesting, because I don't think I read them in order when I started and I'm pretty strict about that these days. Also looking forward to my perspective as a more mature reader and writer. Since Typing With Wet Nails was meant to be primarily a writing and reading blog, I'm planning on this being a step in the right direction.

I've found that picking a default read, be it theme, author, setting or something else goes a long way in staving off reading slumps. Have you ever set a default for those don't-know-what-to-read-next times? How did that work for you? Hannah Howell fans, chime in; which of her historicals (vampire or otherwise) are your favorites?

No comments: