Friday, March 11, 2011

Happy Dance Friday #40 - what measure is a happy dance?


When I first started with Happy Dance Fridays, the idea was to make myself blog more consistently. That's it. Slapping a couple of YouTube videos I'd found interesting made for an easy post, and while I may not be putting on dancing shoes myself every day, writing a heroine as a dancer lets me do that vicariously. Ballroom, Broadway, competition, exhibition, it's all good.



I'm still looking forward to the new season of So You Think You Can Dance and all the wonderful moments that will be captured there. New-to-me dancers to impress and dazzle and make me search the interwebs for more. All good stuff there as well.

I love seeing classic stuff reinterpreted for a fresh perspective, such as the mashups we see on Glee (plus rain is my second favorite weather after snow, and I love when there's water on the stage):


Music that makes me want to dance or puts a spring in my step counts:


Some of the dance pieces I love the most don't fall into the "happy" category as they aren't upbeat, but those that affect me on a deep and profound level that goes past entertainment and straight into that place where art and truth meld with emotion, such as this piece choreographed by Mia Michaels:


Then again, to quote Dr Who's Sally Sparrow, "Sad is happy for deep people" and I think that counts, too.

What constitutes a happy dance for you?

No comments: