Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday At the Movies #34 - 70s To Be Seen


Maybe the fact that I was a kid in the 1970s that gives this particular decade an aura of intrigue, wanting to know what it was like through adult eyes, (I know, probably a lot of the same stuff; taxes, housework, work-work, family stuff) but I have a soft spot for movies made during or set in that era. A few on my to be viewed list are here:

First up, The Summer of '42. My parents had some record with the theme song on it -with lyrics- and I fell madly in love with it, playing that song over and over and over again. I was eleven, and had no idea about the movie's plot, but I was also madly in love with the Wonder Woman tv show, which gave me a strong interest in WWII settings for dramas. I am a sucker for a good coming of age story, especially one with a bittersweet tinge to it. Add in the cinematography and the fact that Jennifer O'Neill is flat out gorgeous, and I'm there. As soon as I can find a copy on DVD, that is.



Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore: Is that a great title or what? With Ellen Burstyn and Kris Kristofferson in the leads, I'm already interested, and a creative type trying to reconcile necessity with the urge to follow their calling, definitely want to see this one. Plus it has the first and original appearance of one Florence Jean Castleberry, whom I, as a youngun, thought was hysterical in the sticom, Alice, though I'm suspecting there are a lot of liberties taken in the adaptation. Compare and contrast movie:


annnnnd sitcom:


A Star Is Born: Barbra Streisand, more Kris Kristofferson, rising star, falling star, "Evergreen," tortured lovers...pure Anna bait here.


An Unmarried Woman: Jill Clayburgh's iconic performance; I could probably leave why I want to see this at that, but it's also a peek into what happens when a life crumbles and a woman gets thrown into the deep end and has to figure out how to swim. She will be missed.


Time to hunt down some of these now that I'm old enough, and maybe some Chuckles and a Charleston Chew to nibble whilst I watch. What 70s classics (filmed in or set during) should I add to this list? Share your favorites.

No comments: