Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Who you gonna call? Slumpbusters!

Time for me to send out a flare in that case. This isn't as maddening a slump as most, for a few reasons. First, it's October, one of my faaavorite months. Second, I'm taking a rather scientific experiment outlook to this slump. What exactly is it that catches my attention, or makes a book hurtle at warp speed toward the nearest wall? Does a slump have warning signs, and if so, how soon can I see them? Can it be forestalled or prevented? Lots of interesting questions.

This one started with a book that was so darned good, clicked with me so well, I knew going in that it would be a difficult act to follow. The Awakening by Angela Hunt -- fabulous story that captivated me so much that a walk-on character took on full life in my head and I'm nurturing her. Which is a good thing, but reading -- interesting.

I tried the "stuff I don't usually read" approach and picked up Natalie Babbit's Tuck Everlasting, the classic YA tale. Liked that, definetly want to see the movie with Jonathan Jackson and Alexis Bleidel -- gorgeous both, good acting, I know I will like the story, so it's pretty much a gimme.

Figured I wanted a romance again next (I can't stay away for long) and picked up a historical vampire anthology (I never read vamps, so this fits the stuff I don't normally read quota.) Enjoyed two of the three stories, and the third didn't work for me. Too many elements that weren't my taste, but I'm sure it's someone's favorite ever.

Currently reading an older Barbara Hazard trad; I loved her historicals, and though the Regency period is not a favorite, I do like her style. Plus the shorter legnth should be a good bridge back to a big thick Porterhouse steak of a historical romance.

No comments: