Sunday, September 12, 2010

Saturday at the Movies #19 - I haven't seen these, but I need to.

Reign Over Me: I love Adam Sandler in dramatic roles, and Don Cheadle is wonderful. Put those two in a drama about reunited friends whose lives have taken different paths, and I'm there. The sensitive issue is that Adam Sandler's character, Charlie, lost his family in the September 11th attacks. Being a New Yorker at heart, that's a tough one. I think it's time, though.



Suddenly Last Summer: Actually, I've seen part of this, but need to see the whole thing. Tennessee Williams always tells a compelling story, and anything that has Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn in the same movie is a must see for me. There won't be any surprises plot-wise. I know what happens, but it's the way things play out that has me filled with anticipation. Dark and convoluted, yes, and I am looking forward to every minute of it.


Picnic at Hanging Rock: An Australian classic, directed by Peter Weir, adapted from the novel by Joan Lindsay. It's Valentine's Day in 1900, and a group of students from a girls' boarding school goes for a picnic at Hanging Rock, a geological formation. Four of the girls go missing, and a mass hysteria takes over the school. We don't find out exactly what happened to them, but the effects are far-reaching.


Heavenly Creatures: Another Australian feature, directed by Peter Jackson and based on actual accounts. Also Kate Winslet's first film, and again, no surprises for me, as I'm familiar with the factual story. I'm also squeamish about red stuff squirting out of people, which is why I've held off, but this is on my to be viewed list. I want to see how they handle the abnormal psychology and the relationship between the two girls.



Okay, Saturday at the Movies followers, which one should I see and review first?

No comments: