Sunday, February 13, 2011

Saturday at the Movies #32 - I Will Go Down With These Ships


The prhase "I will go down with this ship" has an appropriate meaning for those who champion certain couples in thier tv or movie viewing. In honor of Valentine's Day, I refuse to accept anything but a true happily ever after for my favorites and if the canon version doesn't provide, I can and will make my own in my head and count that as the real one. Also possibly lead a torch bearing mob on the powers that be.

First, up, Temperance Brennan and Seely Booth from Bones. This show is steeped in romance: Angela and Hodgens are finally happily married and expecting what has got to be one unique but wonderful baby who will never have to work a day in his/her life; Sweets and Daisy are reuniting, and Cam and her (adopted daughter's former) gynecolegist show fine promise as well, but Booth and Bones, well, auuuuugh, such a delicious tease. I have every faith the HEA will come, but in the finale. In the meantime, what a ride.


There's a reason the opposites attract trope gets a lot of play in romanceland, and who doesn't love a good fairytale? I was always fond of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, so I immediately recognized the dynamic in The Big Bang Theory. Except there's four of them and they're nerds, and aspiring actress Penny has her own kind of smarts that don't come from books. If I were still writing fanfiction, I'd have Penny land an audition for the reboot of a beloved SF tv franchise as well as finally making things work with Leonard. Sheldon, however, would still be Sheldon.


Rough patch, smough patch. When Barney and Robin from How I Met Your Mother get their second chance, these crazy kids are going to have a life together that is legen...wait for it...dary.


Moonlight only got one perfect season (and hey, good Regency title there, hm?)but watching a goodhearted vampire and his inquisitive ladylove work through those early stages to get to one of the best declarations of love I've seen on the small screen prove that sometimes, one is all you need.


My all time favorite TV couple would have to be Duncan and Tessa from Highlander. Even after Tessa died, we got fake Tessa, and the series finale gave us AlternateTessa, in a reality where she'd never met Duncan. If I were going to fanfic this, AlternateTessa's husband would end up in a tragic fatal accident on his way to that meeting, thereby freeing Tessa for Duncan, who finds a way to stay in the AU and they all live happily ever after.


Which TV couples are your favorites? If the powers that be didn't (or haven't yet) given them a romance novel worthy HEA, how would you have the story end?

No comments: