Friday, March 26, 2010

All packed and I don't think I forgot anything or overpacked. Almost time to head out to the NECRWA conference, one of my favorite weekends of the year. Close to Christmas, which for those who know me, is a high compliment. For an extroverted writer, the only word to properly describe a writer's conference is "yeeeeeehaw!" (And I don't even write westerns. So far.)

Allow me to elaborate; take a people person, drop her in a sealed environment absolutely overflowing with others who share the same passion for the genre. Then give her a name badge (I have always had a thing for name badges since I was a wee mite) with a sticker and a ribbon in some cases (stickers and ribbons make everything better; try it) and hand her a bag with free office supplies, chocolate and possibly even a free book. See Christmas reference above. Then put a book on the plate at every meal, said meals attended by uniformed servers (I also have a thing for hotels) and top it all with the chance to hear big names in the industry share their experience with the happily captive audience. Plus workshops that make me want to clone myself so I didn't have to choose. Then there's the pitch sessions. I actually love pitch sessions. See extrovert mention above. I get to talk...about my stories...and am gauranteed eight minutes where that is the sole topic of conversation.

See? My natural habitat. Where do you go to commune with others of your kind?

No comments: