Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday at the Movies #72 - Four Historical Hugh Grant Films...I think

funny pictures - I SED NO PEEKING  MAI PROJEKT!
see more Lolcats and funny pictures, and check out our Socially Awkward Penguin lolz!

My husband sums up 'every movie Anna loves' as "Blah, blah, blah. This horrible war is ruining my love life. Oh look, here comes Hugh Grant. Let's have tea." He is not that far off. Which is why it was a very pleasant surprise to find the Miramax Critic's Choice four in one edition of four Hugh Grant films, all historical.

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain has been on my to-be-purchased list for quite some time now, so that would have been worth the price of admission alone, and I'd actually forgotten exactly who was in Restoration, but Hugh Grant and the court of Charles II? Pop the corn, dim the lights and no talking during the movie, please. Rowing With the Wind has Hugh Grant as Byron (hey, he played Chopin, so he can play Byron)in a story set during the conception of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Rounding out the collection is Sirens, which A) I had not known Hugh Grant was even in, B)I did know had Portia DiRossi in it, and C)is set in Australia in the 1920s, so bonus points for unusual setting.

Today's technical difficulties are brought to us by the internet and YouTube, possibly my laptop as well, so I can't vouch for the trailers embedded below, and Blogger doesn't think I need to see previews of my post. I do have popcorn at the ready, DH's schedule says he's working tonight, and four historical movies are at my disposal, so how -especially when trailers refuse to cooperate- does a person choose? I'll see a performance from a favorite actor no matter which I pick, and I'm interested in all four different settings. Old favorite first, or new discovery? Historical chronological order? Supporting role to starring role? Order in which films were, well, filmed? Alphabetical by title? Costumes? Atmospheres?

Sirens trailer:

Restoration:

Probably trailer or scenes from Rowing with the Wind...I think...

No trailer could be found for The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain, but click here for Wikipedia page.

How do you pick when faced with multiple films you want to see equally?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen those movies. The only Hugh Grant movies I have ever seen are those goofy romantic comedy movies he has made. I have often asked myself if this guy would be worth something more if he did some dramatic roles. Hmmm, I may have to check those out because he certainly is charming and really easy on the eyes. Thanks ... new stuff to check out.
Gerri Brousseau

Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Gerri, I'd say if you get a chance to see Hugh Grant in a dramatic role, do. He had a small role in Remains of the Day and did a wonderful job as Chopin in Impropmtu.