Sunday, February 11, 2007

I had one of those author firsts on this past Friday night -- I was the guest author at a friend's book club. Not a romance book club. Not an e-book book club (are there any of those?) but a regular book club. A room full of people who actually bought and read my book, which is one of the ultimate scary things for a first time novelist.

While I did ask for whom this was a first e-book (everybody) I did not ask if My Outcast Heart was anybody's first romance novel (Though several members did speak of enjoying Nora Roberts/JD Robb and Diana Gabaldon, and I know one gal is a big romance reader.) The method of reading was pretty much evenly distributed between printing out to read hardcopy (often in bed) and reading from the computer screen. One person did ask where to find more e-books, so that was fun. Another asked if MOH would ever be in print. I said someday; I like both formats.

Lots of really good questions abounded when we got to the Q&A portion of the evening. Nobody uttered a phrase that rhymes with "cod is dripper" which made me very happy, and everyone who was offered a promotional postcard for my upcoming
novel byte, "Never Too Late," gladly accepted (and if you were there and didn't get one, drop me an email and I'll send one out.) A few even asked for recommendations of other reads, which I was happy to give.

All in all, a lovely evening of extremely minor celebrity (but I could very easily get used to it) and a wonderful reminder that readers are magnificent people. I would most definetly do this again.

1 comment:

Marguerite Arotin said...

Sounds like you had a great time Anna :-). I've been wondering what you've been up too hon :-). Oh and congrats on a second release sweetheart. I've been slaving away on requested revisions for the fantasy romance I wrote in hopes that I'll get a contract out of it from Samhain. I got some fantastic feedback from an editor there. Wish me luck hon :-). I'm resubmitting on Valentines Day if all goes well ;-).